Sunday 18 December 2011

Teacher's Presents with a difference.....

As if the last week of the School term wasn't busy enough, I decided to give Emily's Class Teachers a present with a difference.  In a moment of total insanity, I decided to bake them all Cupcakes from my Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook, then butter ice them and add edible glitter!!

I was really pleased with how they turned out, and Emily's teachers were thrilled to get a different sort of present!


The completed boxes!  I bought the cake boxes from an online store that I found.  They were only a few pounds for 2 boxes and the inserts, so I bought three packs of them.


My finished cakes!  It didn't go quite as smooth as I wanted it to!  I ran out of paper cases (checked all my other ingredients, but not the cases!), then my buttercream icing wasn't as thick as I wanted it.  I had to load up my brush with the edible glitter, then tap the brush against my finger to cover the cakes.  I wanted a nice brushed effect, but ended up with a splatter effect.


My labels, however, turned out much better and didn't take very long to do either!  

I used Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Fired Brick and Vintage Photo, Memento Ink in Black, my Scrapagogo Loyalty Stamps for the lettering, Bakers Twine and my Stampin Up Owl and Bird punches for the reindeer.


I rubbed the Fired Brick ink over my craft mat and sprayed it with water, then dipped both sides of my tag into the ink, letting each side dry first.  I then used the Vintage Photo ink and an ink blending tool to age the edges of my tag.

Using my Scrapagogo Loyalty Stamps and the Memento Ink in Black, I then stamped the name of each teacher onto a tag.  Finally, I made a reindeer using my owl and bird punch, attached to one corner of the tag and threaded some bakers twine through the hole.


I was really pleased with the end result, but if you hear me say I'm going to do this again next year..........

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous boxes I am sure they loved them, I just bought that owl punch from Stampin up, saw someone else make reindeer with it lol Have a fabulous Christmas hun xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely thoughtful pressies - bet they went down well!
    I didn't realise it was an owl punch - must pay more attention! lol x

    ReplyDelete